Monday, December 17, 2012

The Duke Ching of Ch’i had a thousand teams

The Duke Ching of Ch’i had a thousand teams, each of four horses, but on the day of his death, the people did not praise him for a single virtue. Po-i and Shu-ch’i died of hunger at the foot of the Shau-yang mountains, and the people, down to the present time, praise them.
“Is not that saying illustrated by this?”
Ch’an K’ang asked Po-yu, saying, “Have you heard any lessons from your father different from what we have all heard?”
Po-yu replied, “No. He was standing alone once, when I passed below the hall with hasty steps, and said to me, ‘Have you learned the Odes,foamposite for cheap?’ On my replying ‘Not yet,’ he added, If you do not learn the Odes, you will not be fit to converse with.’ I retired and studied the Odes.
“Another day, he was in the same way standing alone,rolex submariner replica, when I passed by below the hall with hasty steps, and said to me, ‘Have you learned the rules of Propriety?’ On my replying ‘Not yet,’ he added, ‘If you do not learn the rules of Propriety, your character cannot be established.’ I then retired, and learned the rules of Propriety.
“I have heard only these two things from him.”
Ch’ang K’ang retired, and, quite delighted, said, “I asked one thing, and I have got three things. I have heard about the Odes. I have heard about the rules of Propriety. I have also heard that the superior man maintains a distant reserve towards his son.”
The wife of the prince of a state is called by him Fu Zan. She calls herself Hsiao T’ung. The people of the state call her Chun Fu Zan, and, to the people of other states, they call her K’wa Hsiao Chun. The people of other states also call her Chun Fu Zan.
Chapter 17
Yang Ho wished to see Confucius, but Confucius would not go to see him,cheap adidas shoes for sale. On this, he sent a present of a pig to Confucius, who, having chosen a time when Ho was not at home went to pay his respects for the gift. He met him, however, on the way.
Ho said to Confucius, “Come, let me speak with you.” He then asked, “Can he be called benevolent who keeps his jewel in his bosom, and leaves his country to confusion?” Confucius replied, “No.” “Can he be called wise, who is anxious to be engaged in public employment, and yet is constantly losing the opportunity of being so?” Confucius again said, “No.” “The days and months are passing away; the years do not wait for us.” Confucius said, “Right; I will go into office.”
The Master said,HOMEPAGE, “By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart.”
The Master said, “There are only the wise of the highest class, and the stupid of the lowest class, who cannot be changed.”
The Master, having come to Wu-ch’ang, heard there the sound of stringed instruments and singing.
Well pleased and smiling, he said, “Why use an ox knife to kill a fowl?”
Tsze-yu replied, “Formerly, Master, I heard you say,-’When the man of high station is well instructed, he loves men; when the man of low station is well instructed, he is easily ruled.’”
The Master said, “My disciples, Yen’s words are right. What I said was only in sport.”
Kung-shan Fu-zao, when he was holding Pi, and in an attitude of rebellion, invited the Master to visit him, who was rather inclined to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment